Who is Jesus
Who was or is Jesus of Nazareth?
There is much speculation today as to who Jesus was. Some think he was just one of many itinerant rabbis, or a good man, or a moral teacher. Others see him as an example to follow, or a prophet or a 'christ' figure come to bring enlightenment to mankind.
In Jesus' own day, there was also speculation about him. The crowds thought that he might be Elijah, or John the Baptist or one of the prophets, raised from the dead.
The Bible says that Jesus was - and is - the Son of God.
- Angels declared it - Luke 1:32-35
- Evil spirits recognised it - Mark 3:11
- Men began to realise it - Matthew 16:16
- And God declared it from heaven at Jesus' baptism and transfiguration - Matthew 3:17; 17:5
Jesus also clearly claimed to be equal to God, to have deity and not just divinity (i.e. he was not merely god-like, but God in the flesh) (John 8:58). The hearers of his day understood that this was his claim. That is why they stoned him - to put him to death………. for you, being a man, make yourself equal to God. (John 10:30-33)
And this is the very point of Christmas. Remember the Christmas Cards & Carols? "Emmanuel" - God with us - in fulfilment of the prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name "Emmanuel". That is why the Bible says of Jesus, "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form."" (Col 2:9)
But there is more to Jesus than simply being called The Son of God. He has other names and titles which help to describe his character and what he does.
He is the
- Saviour - He saves us from the penalty of our sins (Lk 2:11; 2 Tim 1:10)
- Lord Jesus Christ - He has authority over our lives (Mt 7:21-27)
- Baptiser in the Holy Spirit - He is able to give us power for us to serve in his kingdom. (Lk 3:16; Jn 1:33)
There is a lovely verse from a famous hymnwriter which describes more again of Jesus. John Newton wrote in his hymn "How sweet the name of Jesus sounds":
Jesus! my shepherd, brother, friend,
my prophet, priest and king;
my lord, my life, my way, my end,
accept the praise I bring.
- the Good Shepherd of Jn 10 who lays down his life for the sheep (us, who believe), and whose shepherding is described in Psalm 23.
- our Brother, as we have been adopted into God's family (Romans 8:15-17)
- our friend (Jn 15:14-15)
- the prophet, greater than Moses (Dt 18:18; & e.g. (Jn 6:14)
- our Great High Priest (Heb 4:14) who prays for us at the right hand of God
- the Great King. Jesus is both King of the Jews, (Jn 18:33-37;19:19) and King of kings and Lord of lords (1 Tim 6:14-15; Rev 17:14)
- He is your Lord, as you obey him (Jas 1:22-25)
- your Life (Jn 6:47-51)
- the Way to God (Jn 14:6) and the narrow way that leads to life. (Mt 7:13-14)
- our End. As we enter glory, it is to meet and be with Jesus. (Acts 7:55-60; Rev 7:9-10)
And there is much more to discover about him that will produce wonder, delight and reverential awe in us as we come to realize just who and how wondrous Jesus Christ is. As Jesus says of himself,
"I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the first and the last,
the beginning and the end." (Rev 22:13)
Let us worship him, trust him, and follow him all the days of our lives.